Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Seed Lesson

Just now I was brushing my teeth, and noticed Alex's seed on the bathroom counter, and it reminded me of a story I wanted to blog about :)


Last Sunday our Sunday School lesson started out with everyone receiving a seed. My first thought was 'oh great, it's the seed lesson!' (Sarcastically of course) I think everyone has heard this lesson a million times... seed=tree, which symbolically means 'plant' the Scriptures/Church/Spirit in your life/heart and it will grow.


So he started with the basics, 'what if I told you this seed would one day be a tree?....'


I hate to admit it, but I started to tune the poor guy out and focus on my little, (OK FINE- BIG) very cute baby beside me.


It really sucked because I loved this teacher, all of his lessons inspired me, and I was upset that this one seemed to be headed down the "simplest mind" lane.
Then he said something that totally changed my attitude.


"What are you going to do with this seed?"
Everyone one else seemed to give the seminary answers (read your scriptures and nurture it) ...but for me it actually hit home.


What was I going to do with this seed??


The fist thought that popped into my head was 'I'll be lucky if this even makes it home!'


Then I realized it said something very significant about my spiritual level:
I love what I learn at church, when I am there I know what I am supposed to do with my life. I feel recharged and ready to take on the world. I feel like God is right beside me. I feel like I can do anything he asks me to, and all I need is to search the scriptures for my answers to life's greatest mysteries.


But then I never take it home.

3 HOLLERS!:

Lis said...

Very inspiring ... good that you blogged in ... you planted your seed :D

Lana said...

what an awesome insight! Thanks :)

I have a good life said...

So profound! Thanks for sharing that thought.