Does this scare anyone??
It used to make me really uncomfortable, but now I know- IT'S JUST BEN! Yes, this kind of climbing is in Benjamin's everyday life- just ask the people I work with!
He is terribly adorable, and you can't help but love his smile, even when he gives it to you just to keep you from being mad at whatever he just did.
Last week changed my comfort level with Benjamin's climbing.
Alex had gone to the theater to buy movie tickets for our date night, when Ben decided to not only climb on our kitchen island, but to investigate the pencil drawer while standing up as well.
Needless to say, it ended badly. I don't recall having ever seen that much blood at one time before. I can't say that my phone call to Alex was all that intelligent either... but he sure got home fast.
My wonderful neighbor came over to watch the other boys. Matt was sleeping, but Jeremiah and Josh had helped me clean up the blood that somehow got absolutely everywhere. Jeremiah was terribly disturbed by the thought of Ben getting stitches, and was crying almost as much as I was. Thankfully Mandy knew how to handle the situation, it was so wonderful to know they were in such good hands while I was in such a panic.
9 1/2 years of being a mom and I have never had to deal with the ER. 4 boys, and no stitches or broken bones.
Until this.
It was a horrible thing to have to watch, as they strapped my baby into a papoose and stitched his head. He kept crying for "momma" and looked at me with pathetic, sad, confused eyes, and couldn't understand why I wasn't picking him up and rescuing him from this! Poor Alex had to try and comfort both Ben and I.
We came home a few hours later to a clean house (like I said, wonderful Mandy!) but very drained from the whole experience.
Ben however was not so phased!! The very next day we had just come in from church and he climbs right up on the couch. Since I was freaking out about his apparent love of heights, I told him to get down right away.... then he falls off the side of the couch, and broke all 4 stitches open!
The doctor said they could not do stitches again, and the best option was butterfly bandaids. Hopefully his scar will not be ugly.
So here is Ben- happy, and undaunted by it all.


2 HOLLERS!:
you are pretty lucky that you haven't had more of these experiences yet :-) Ryan was 3 when I had my 1st trip to the ER for stitches... Ben will get a better sense of balance and boundaries and will hurt himself less- he's a bright kid even if he is very daring! It's pretty horrible the first time though, isn't it???
How scary!!!! Yes, that would make you so nervous to see him climbing again, but I bet he's not scared, and prob didn't slow down! But you are a good mommy, and he knows you were there with him through it! :D Ouch!
Post a Comment