Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A yard work weekend

After school on Friday, since it was such a nice day, I told Joshua that I would give him some money for pulling the weeds in our yard. We started out front because there were fewer out there, Benjamin sat in his bouncer just looking around, Matthew rode his bike up and down the sidewalk, Joshua pulled the weeds, and I pulled the nasty holly from our tree.
Then his friends from down the street came over, and wanted to help! So we gave them each $5 and they were out there pulling for 2 and 1/2 hours! NO, I really don't have that many weeds...they did take water and "swinging" brakes, and they were really pulling up broad leaf grass- which we had an awful lot of in the back yard!!
They pulled up 4 big black trash bags worth!

Then on Saturday I managed to convince hubby that we really needed to plant some landscaping before it got too hot. Last spring we dug everything up that was there and laied new stone work for the "lodging" and by the time we finished all that it rained, and rained and rained!!! (Do you remember all that water last year!!??) Needless to say the project did not get finished, and our flower bed has looked barren and forlorn! So we drug all four kids to Lowe's and Home Depot (poor guys!) and finally found what we were looking for, 4 hours latter.
We now have five wonderful shrubs in front (the flowers will have to wait for this weekend), two beautiful new coach lights and a new back door light, perfect for hubby to grill under- well when his grill finally gets here!

1 HOLLERS!:

Michael Malone said...

Way to put those kids to work, make 'em sweat! Good thing there aren't any child labor or minimum wage laws or anything :D