Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Own Analogy

In my many pondering (hey! Don't laugh!!) I thought about the work a woman's body goes through to produce milk for an infant.

I know that seems strange, but here is the long story behind my thoughts:

Monday night Alex and I stayed up late catching up on our TV shows before the season finales start. We didn't end up going to bed until after midnight. Then we were awaken by a very hungry baby who had gone from a small snack at 9:50pm to 4:15am.
Unfortunately we could not go back to sleep and ended up talking about quite a few issues and situations that have been in need of being discussed for some time now. Our discussions lasted into Joshua's alarm clock waking him, and the morning routines starting.
Alex jumped in the shower, and Benjamin woke again to a grumbly tummy. As I crawled back into my very comfy bed, I felt guilty that Alex would not be able to nap right now like I would. Since Matthew was still in bed, and had gone to bed late last night I didn't expect him to get up for a few more hours.
How nice I thought! But then the guilty feeling turned to me trying to justify why I deserved more sleep then Alex did.


And this is what I came up with:

A woman's body producing milk for her baby is comparable to walking and walking and walking all day, every day. Not strenuous exercises, but just constantly taking a step all day long!
Unfortunately every day is a little different. Each day your ability to walk is affected by what you eat, or don't eat. How tired you are, and other stresses outside forces put on you. So each day is a different challenge.
Thus nursing mothers NEED the nap to keep up with not only this walking all the time, but the other daily responsibilities she has- including family, home and work.


To Alex's justice- He called me 15 minutes after he left the house. He ran out of gas!!!

....Matthew, Ben and I.... we had to go rescue him ;)

1 HOLLERS!:

I have a good life said...

LOL. Just as you get comfy...you have to go to the rescue! :)