Let me first say what a bad example I have been about following the law regarding speed limits. I seem to always be in a hurry wherever I go, no matter the reason. I am a day late and a dollar short it seems. I guess in someways I view the speed limit more like a suggestion.
This has been noticeably exaggerated the last couple of months, especially since I now have a son that pays close attention to how I drive since he is trying to learn the basics of driving for himself. The last week even Matthew has made comments about my driving 80 in a posted 65 as we drive to school, late as usual.
Thursday started out as usual, in fact I felt a little ahead of the game when I arrived home about 10 minutes earlier than normal after dropping the ILT boys off at school. While I was showering before taking Josh to school I remembered that he was scheduled for piano lessons that morning! We rushed over to Saginaw for the remaining 15 minutes of his lesson time, but even then it was getting too close to High School start time.
Let's pause here for me to emphasize how much I dislike speeders in school zones, no matter the rush I am in I will always slow down when school is in session. That being said, I ended up being pulled over for doing 32 in a 20 :(
I would love to excuse it away. I have often vented about how truly stupid I find it that this one side of the High School which has NO houses or cross walks on; in fact there is nothing but an over flow gravel parking lot for football games and a cow pasture, has a 20 mile an hour speed zone, while the other two sides that have adjoining neighborhoods are a 30. The truth is that I finally got caught going too fast and I am mad about it.
That isn't going to be a pretty ticket to pay either :(
Another thing I learned that morning is that even though I had lasik two years ago my drivers licenses still says that I drive with restrictions, needing corrective lenses. It has always read restrictions ever since I received my first license, and I've never even thought about it. Evidently even after explaining my naivety I can still get a citation for that. Guess I will be visiting the DMV shortly to take a vision test and get my 2nd new drivers license this year (the other was from our move).
Lessons learned on a random Thursday in our house... don't speed though life!
Sunday, May 10, 2015
Speeding
News from Anne
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 HOLLERS!:
Some speeding tickets change you, some make you angry. I remember getting one when we lived in Orem. I was going to surprise your father and bring him lunch at work. I stopped at a fast-food place and it took much MUCH longer to get the food than I thought it would. That did not leave me much time before dad's lunch break would be over. So I was speeding down a neighborhood street and was pulled over. The officer asked me what my hurry was and I explained it. He asked if I knew that a child had died in that neighborhood the previous year- hit by a speeding driver. I had not. I cried for what might have been. I carried that ticket in my wallet for years.
In Arvada I was pulled over and ticketed once in our nice, big conversion van (it was such a target- I got ticketed in it once for turning left on a red light. I did no such thing- the light turned yellow when I was in the intersection, then red while I waited for a car to go by before turning). I was ill, but had just dropped Elissa off at work. I was numbly following several cars up the road, keeping my distance from the car ahead of me, but not paying attention to the speed we were going. I was pulled over. I was so surprised. When I tried to explain that I was going the same speed as the line of cars in front of me the officer got angry and rude. I tried explain that I was sick and just needed to get home before I threw up. He was so belligerent. That ticket had a very different affect on me!
But we do believe in honoring and sustaining the law- even if we don't agree with it. If we truly don't agree with it, we have a moral obligation to try to work peacefully to change the law, not to ignore the law. That can be such a challenge!
Post a Comment