Last week my two oldest were at Boy Scout camp in Oklahoma, and my two youngest and I went to Cub Scout camp. Ben was able to participate in the Tot-Lot all week, while I taught classes a few days, and walked with a den one day.
Our camp theme was "Camp Goes West", and I really have to hand it to our camp Directors because they really did a fantastic job!! The decorations were so cute, and fitting, and the programs were well organized and very oriented towards a lot of boys. Each day they offered different activities, except Archery and BB's which they offered every day (since that seems to be the highlight of camp for boys). So I taught a class for 50 minutes, times 5 different groups. Each group had three dens, one wolf, one bear and one webelos.
The first day I was teaching Tin Punching in an indoor classroom, which was great because it had air conditioning, but it was very, VERY loud!
After having nearly 200 boys all with hammers and nails, I only had two boys get angry at each other and raise their hammers... so I feel like it was a success. It was interesting to see which boys were very particular about their patterns, which boys started with a pattern but then ended up just pounding willy-nilly, and then which boys just wanted to bang and make noise.
During our lunch time we had entertainment each day. The first day we had a couple that came to teach us about snakes. Most of the boys were very excited to see and touch the snakes, as the company had leaders walk around to show the snakes to the whole room.
I was very disturbed by the whole thing, because I hate snakes, and seeing them crawl along the arms and shoulders of the leaders really creeped me out.
Ben didn't care for the snakes either. He crawled into my lap anytime someone walked by with a snake. Unfortunately, there were several snakes going around the room at the same time, and Ben was anxiously looking around the room at all times to keep tabs on them.
I distracted Ben by having him take pictures, and he took this selfie of us :)
During the clean up time, and the boy's closing ceremonies, I had Ben come into my room to try out the tin punching. He was so excited to try, but was frustrated when the nail didn't stay as still as he wanted it to. Thankfully there were left over lids to take home so we can keep practicing and make something cool :)
It was a great, LONG day. So glad I was able to go, and that I was a teacher instead of trying to heard a group of boys from activity to activity. I think I will volunteer to teach every year! HA HA
I realized I have been doing Cub Camp for 7 years, and only have 3 years left after this. This was by far the best year for me though! :D






0 HOLLERS!:
Post a Comment