I have not truly enjoyed award ceremonies at school before, mostly because I disagree with every child getting an award. The awards can feel very made up, and superficial.
This year, at the International Leadership of Texas, the awards that were announced were Character Traits. There are 12 traits that the students work on throughout the year, like: Leadership, Focus/Self-control, Optimism, Curiosity, Integrity, and Initiative.
Of the announced awards Benjamin received Leadership, Matthew Creativity, and Jeremiah Courage. Each came home with a packet of other awards, but I have to say that I really enjoyed the way this award ceremony was done, and that they were honoring true character traits!
Interestingly enough, Ben also received a perfect attendance medal. This is the first time any of my children have earned this type of award, because I am very against sending my kids to school sick, even if they don't seem sick. I was actually really surprised when I found out that he had received this.
I am super proud of all the boys for starting a new school this year, with all of the challenges that came with a brand new school. They also worked harder than I have ever seen them before, and this school challenges them so much more than a typical public school. I feel very blessed :)
Ben also performed in a Trilingual recital earlier in the week, where he held a clear conversation, in Spanish, with an older student! He is making wonderful strides toward being bilingual. He is my last 1st Grader, which makes me a little sad :(

Matthew performed in Drama club this year, even when the going was tough and he wanted to quit. He ended up loving the group, and had a blast during their performance. He was even able to play the piano for the audience. (It made Ben very jealous that the 1st grade didn't have any clubs!)
4th grade has been successful for Matt, as he easily fits in with students, and gets his homework done promptly (turning it in is a different matter!)
Jeremiah performed with the Beginning Band as a 6th grader, and they seemed quite advanced for just starting out. They had 3 concerts this year, and also had a contest at NRH20 where they placed 1st in their division.
This last week has been so much fun for Jeremiah as they have taken their learning very hands on, and competitive. They have build rockets out of balloons, played chubby-bunny, and had a competition to see who could build the tallest building with spaghetti noddles and marshmallows.
Josh is a Freshman and they don't have award ceremonies, unfortunately I didn't even think to take a picture of him on his last day at Saginaw! He has had an extremely busy year, with Pre-AP classes, Marching Band, Boy Scouts, and early morning Seminary. I am grateful that he is able to successfully balance life.






0 HOLLERS!:
Post a Comment