It's been fun having a child in Middle School verses Elementary, for so many different reasons, but the first being the choices in classes. Not that there are so many, but just the fact that he CAN choose something different.
Josh and his best friend spent quite a long time trying to decided which, if any, of the AP classes they wanted to take (they each qualified for 3), and then which elective to take.
Josh tried out for Percussion first, but did not make it. There were a record number of students trying out, and I was not really enthusiastic about the practice percussion would take at home :S
Then we went to Band night, were he was able to try out every instrument and mouth piece. Well, he chose not to try the flute... go figure ;) He didn't like the reed instruments, and it was really funny to see him try to blow into the Tuba mouth piece! Some instruments just require much bigger lungs ;)
Josh got excellent scores on the French Horn and Trumpet, and chose to go with Trumpet.
Renting from the school's sub contracted company was ridiculously expensive, but I found this used one for a great deal, and he loves that it is silver instead of gold like most of the other kids instruments.
This first concert was fun to see, even though it was ridiculously packed in the schools cafeteria, and very, very hot.
Josh and his best friend spent quite a long time trying to decided which, if any, of the AP classes they wanted to take (they each qualified for 3), and then which elective to take.
Josh tried out for Percussion first, but did not make it. There were a record number of students trying out, and I was not really enthusiastic about the practice percussion would take at home :S
Then we went to Band night, were he was able to try out every instrument and mouth piece. Well, he chose not to try the flute... go figure ;) He didn't like the reed instruments, and it was really funny to see him try to blow into the Tuba mouth piece! Some instruments just require much bigger lungs ;)
Josh got excellent scores on the French Horn and Trumpet, and chose to go with Trumpet.
Renting from the school's sub contracted company was ridiculously expensive, but I found this used one for a great deal, and he loves that it is silver instead of gold like most of the other kids instruments.
This first concert was fun to see, even though it was ridiculously packed in the schools cafeteria, and very, very hot.
They had a record number of children in the band as well this year, and I think there were something like 14 trumpets! They started off by buzzing into mouth pieces, then playing a single note (yes, this is beginner band! haha) and ended by playing one song as the trumpet section, then one song as a whole band. Alex took some great video of it, and hopefully one day I will upload it to the blog :)
I'm not so sure that the younger boys had as much fun as I did at the concert. I guess there is something to be said about the pride and joy you feel when your oldest is doing something new, that the younger siblings just can't relate to, and therefore find the event far too boring.


0 HOLLERS!:
Post a Comment