Saturday, September 18, 2010

Soda Springs

After we cleaned up our camp site we hit the road to find some cave dwellings. It was amazing to me to see how quickly the scenery changed from hilly woods to dry desert, then rocky mountains.
As we drove we spotted cave dwellings along the highway and these Soda Springs. It was a really cool discovery and I am so glad we stopped!
Look! A picture of me :)
LOL, I was resistant to my mom taking it, but I am glad to report, I ACTUALLY WENT TOO!!
The boys really enjoyed climbing around on the rocks, I ended up with many butt shots... but decided not to post these ;)

Mom and Daniel climb up with the kids into this green cave. I didn't venture up, but they said that the ceiling was covered in green, and the floor had very cool water erosion on it. It smelled really bad!!
Then the boys wanted to see what was on top of the rocks... and climbed right up, as the mommy's went to find a safer route up.
It was actually very flat on top- a great walking surface! Then we made it to the top of the water fall, where Daniel and Dad jumped over the dam. I think most of the kids got board with it and went back to the cars, but Josh, Matthew and I tried to find a safer way across the water.We finally made it across on rocks and a fallen tree, and it was so worth it! This is Joshua on the top side of the waterfall- and very enthusiastic about me taking his picture :0
This was the scary part for me.
It was a steep climb, and one wrong slip would take you down the falls.
My boys were fearless... so up and over we climbed.
So- the round rock is the first place we climbed up with all the kids... and that is the dam that Dad and Daniel jumped over. Josh is sitting at about the top of the water fall inside that rock, there was a hole that you could look down into, it was a very strange feeling. Then the whole at the bottom is where the water was cascading down the rocks.
We continued along this side of the water to see if there was another way back across, but all we found was this neat whole in the rocks to climb through :)
So on the way back we met up with Ben, Jeremiah and Nana!
I think having Ben this close to the falls was too much- I took the picture and said "let's go!"

2 HOLLERS!:

TiffanyM said...

what a brave mommy you are, i sure wouldn't let sam do that!

Mom said...

weren't those rocks amazing? That was so much fun to climb around with the kids. I sure enjoy watching children discover nature. I'm glad I finally came around to the other side with Ben or we would have missed so much!