On day three of day camp I was a den walker...and I think that was the hottest day!!
It really wasn't terrible, since we had three adults and only 11 boys. No one got lost or hurt, so it was a success ;)
I wasn't with Matthew, but I was with some of the younger boys from our den. Whenever Matt did see me he would still give me a hug! I loved it.
One of the classes we went to the boys built their own marshmallow guns, and their own targets. Then we took them outside for bigger target practice- they really loved that!
Another class we went to was drum making. Apparently the Directors asked a local Indian group to come showcase dancing for us, and during the conversation the Director mentioned that we were making drums that day as well. This really upset the other lady, because drum making and playing is so sacred to them. She told our Director that only one tribe were the "drum makers," and that once a drum was built it was a sacred communication between its owner and the Maker. She was highly offended that we were making drums, and would not come dance for us.
Oh, and Alex drew on our lunch bags for camp, the boys really enjoyed showing off the pictures each day!
Instead of the Indian Dancers, they had a couple of musicians come in and teach the boys how to make music with ordinary things. I think Matt got a little stage shy when he went up to make music, you can see him hiding in the back in this picture!
BB's and Archery were our last class of the day, thankfully there was shade to stand under!
I had an interesting thing happen while waiting for our boys turn with BBs. One of the adult leaders in another den, that had been with us all day, had been struggling with one boys behavior, and was the end of his rope when this boys and another boy started hitting each other. The adult leader waited to get the attention of the female adult leaders in his group (who were completely oblivious to the situation), while the boys continued to argue with each other. As the male adult tried to discuss the situation, the one boy kept interrupting the leader to explain his behavior. This really infuriated the leader, so he stood up, towering over the boy standing very close to him, and then yelled at him to be quite and respect his leader. He carried on for the better part of 2 minutes, as everyone just watched, and let him carry on. Keep in mind all of us were BSA trained in Child Abuse Prevention, which specifically states that this intimidation is not OK. Even I was too afraid of the man to speak directly to him, so I texted the camp director about the issue and she promptly came over to deal with it. How sad though, with all the leaders there, including the ones that new him in his den, they did nothing for this boy. Granted, the boy wasn't behaving well, but there are far better ways to handle it!
All that being said, today as a den walker was an adventure, and I prefer teaching 😊







0 HOLLERS!:
Post a Comment