For me, Mother's Day is much like what a single woman on Valentine's Day would feel.
It's a hoax, and probably invented by the same person.
Today I am blogging as my kids, and husband are taking a nap- it is good to have quite time, even though I will more then likely regret naps starting at 430 :(
But as I was doing the dishes I thought of how unfair it seemed to be. In reality, this is something I do everyday...so why would today upset me so much?
Then I realized that we as woman set ourselves up for this type of disappointment. Why would we have the crazy idea that we should set aside one day a year to celebrate what comes natural to most of us? When in reality we know that most of the appreciation is done by other woman! Instead of enjoying a nice, quite, relaxing day to ourselves we stress over making sure all our woman friends know they are loved and supported. But this is something we do almost every day, perhaps even once a week! No need to make all the other mother's run around like crazy making care packages "from the kids" to their mothers, and cleaning up the house before and after family comes for dinner.
Perhaps it would be best to do away with such a silly holiday, and realize we are celebrated everyday with the "I love you, Mommy"'s and the hugs from our children, and not set ourselves up to be disappointed at the end of the day- when we only got 2 hours of sleep the night before stressing over a clean house, and gifts for other moms. Then spending all day doing our JOB, only to find that in the end it's the husband that is taking a nap with the kids while you are cleaning the house, yet again.
....I'm not mad....just venting my thoughts....
Sunday, May 10, 2009
My thoughts on Mother's Day
News from Anne
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 HOLLERS!:
Ha ha ! .... I know exactly what you mean! My MD was not so great either, left me feeling like any other day, well, any other bad day ;) So then yesterday I made sure to have a better one. I think you're right and we do set ourselves up... so let's just set ourselves up to have a good day for ourselves no matter what :) house falling down around us - np! :)
It's good to vent! I love venting! I guess its a good thing that your kids have a dad, a dad that loves them!
Amen. I really think the key to a good mother's day is no expectations. It is awesome to be recognized, but, at least for me, it seems I want some fantasy day that will never happen. One where I am treated like a princess and everyone swoons at my feet. Nah. I am still mom. Just like every other day.
Yes! I agree with you. That's how I feel. It's like I was reading my mind on your blog!
I remember feeling the very same way. If it's any consolation, hang in there. It's pretty cool when your kids are grown and think of showing you appreciation for all of your years of sacrifice- all on their own... and after all those years your husband finally realizes it's a good idea to make your mother's day nice- and makes dinner AND does the dishes :-) Then, after all those years, you can finally really enjoy Mother's Day. Thanks for taking the time to make the lovely Mother's Day card for me. I'm glad you are my daughter. Love you tons.
Post a Comment